Books I Like, Books I Love (and books I don't)

My go-to genre is YA. Especially if it is Paranormal or Fantasy.

Unspoken (Lynburn Legacy Series #1)

Unspoken - Sarah Rees Brennan This book did not go exactly where I thought it was going to go. I didn't really know where it was going but I still did not expect the direction it took. I guess that's a good thing but I'm left with the thought that I'm not entirely sure how I felt about Unspoken. The best part of the book was definitely the main character. She was likeable, entertaining and capable. She was someone you had no problem rooting for. I also quite liked Jared and the rest of the supporting characters. They were all developed enough that I had no trouble telling them apart and didn't feel like they were all generic circle of friends type characters. Everyone was refreshingly different from usual. Well, except for Jared. He did seem to fit nicely into the tortured, misunderstood bad boy stereotype although I didn't like him any less for it.The plot and central mystery were fun and I'm looking forward to see how the author develops the mythology further. I feel like there is plenty of story left to fill out a trilogy (which is not always the case). I want to find out much more about Sorry-in-the-Vale and it's history.There really wasn't anything I didn't like but I just can't quite say I loved it. It gave me all sorts of weird dreams last night so it is definitely sticking with me and I don't feel like I've read the same plot 14 times already this year. I may yet change my mind and change my rating to five stars given more time to reflect. My brain still seems quite wrapped about this book.I will also say this...Unspoken ends on a big, sad cliffhanger and I cannot believe I have to wait 9 months or so to read the next one!

Magic to the Bone